Dr. John Bret Becton - Dean
"An MBA provides you with the tools and perspectives to ascend to leadership roles within your organizations and advance your career."
- Ph.D. in Management (Dual Emphasis in HRM/Organizational Change) – Auburn University, 2005
- M.A. in Industrial/Organizational Psychology – University of Tulsa, 1993
- B.S. in Psychology – University of Southern Mississippi, 1991
- Spent 10+ years as a management consultant before joining academia full time in 2005
- Previously held faculty positions at Winthrop University and the University of Southern Mississippi
- I conduct research on social media in employment, employee turnover, and generational differences. Fast Company magazine did a piece on my 2014 article on generational differences in the workplace.
What advice would you give to those considering the online MBA program?
Ensure that you are disciplined in order to be successful. The fact that you can do class from anywhere at any time is a great convenience, but it is also a convenient excuse to procrastinate or not devote enough time to your classes. Online education requires much from the student to stay on track and engaged.
What is the value of an MBA?
An MBA provides you with the tools and perspectives to ascend to leadership roles within your organizations and advance your career.
What qualities make someone particularly successful in business?
Obviously, intelligence is a necessary qualification; additionally, a strong work ethic, integrity and genuineness are critical for success.
What is the one book you think everyone should read?
The Leadership Challenge by Barry Posner
Tell us something interesting about yourself that your students might not know about you.
I used to be a basketball junkie, playing pickup games five days a week. I don't have the time or the back to do that anymore, but I still miss it!